‘The art of facilitating the unleashing of people’s potential to reach meaningful, important objectives’ (Rosinski, 2003)
‘At the heart of coaching lies the idea of empowering people by facilitating self-directed learning, personal growth and improved performance’ (Passmore, 2010)
Coaching is normally a conversation, or series of conversations, one person has with another. The coach intends to produce a conversation that will benefit the other person, the coachee, in a way that relates to the coachee’s learning and progress. Coaching conversations might happen in many different ways, and in many different environments.
For the coachee, they will experience a focus and attention that enables them to develop a greater awareness and appreciation of their own circumstances. In addition, they’ll also create new ways to resolve issues, produce better results and generally achieve their goals more easily.
- Improved sense of direction & focus
- Increased knowledge of self/self-awareness
- Improved ability to relate to and influence others
- Increased motivation
- Improved personal effectiveness, e.g. focussed effort
- Increased resourcefulness/resilience, e.g. ability to handle change
Adapted from : An Overview of Coaching (Starr Consulting)
What is Business Coaching?
Through the use of personal coaching methods, an individual or team coaching program produces increased performance and successful change management within an organisation resulting in the achievement of defined business goals. To achieve this coaching increases an individuals self-awareness, self-management, their ability to make decisions and solve problems. From an employee perspective it enbables them to increase their own skills, understand and accept their responsibilities and improve their perception of others, enabling them to perform well as an individual and as a team player.
“Coaching works! It has been demonstrated to: put humanity back in the work place; increase productivity; redress work-life balance; improve team performance and unlock individuals’ potential.” www.growcornwall.co.uk
Identify Key Challenges, Needs, Gaps and Expectations
Carry out Effective Business Strategising and Planning
Achieve Sustainable Change Management
Improve Leadership & Management Capabilities
Enhance Individual and Team Performance
Empower Individual Personal Development
Gain Individual and Business Cultural Understanding
Improve Decision Making and Dispute Resolution techniques
Coaching is solution and future focused, the coach themselves does not provide the answers, instead engaging the coachee(s) in conversation to facilitate self directed discovery and learning. This provides a safe setting for the coachee to explore and identify the best actions relevant and harmonious with the individual themselves, and furthermore, their colleagues, the wider organisation and the environment in which they exist. This is achieved through:
- A flexible and tailored approach for the organisation, its teams and individual employees
- A confidential environment to safely explore a journey of discovery and learning
- Enabling a change in behaviours, expectations and the resulting actions generated at each level
- Focus on goals and ways forward defined by the business itself
- Improved self driven performance for individuals within the business
- Empowering an individual to develop own solutions through experiential learning
- Improved interpersonal relationships
- Improved business culture and team dynamics, reducing conflict and enhancing peer relationships
- Personal growth of coachee improving their motivation, well being & job satisfaction
- Facilitation of problem resolution developing wider learning that can be applied in other situations
- The Coachee retaining ownership and direction of decision making as the expert in their business
Team Meeting Facilitation
Encourage open constructive discussions
Action orientated and solution focused outcomes
Allows full team participation in the conversation
Provides and manages the processes and structure of the meeting
Ensures meetings are held and agenda is clear
Content focused with pre-defined objectives
It is a usually true that most business owners and employees know their businesses far better than any external person looking at the business from the outside and their own perspective. Coaching provides a platform for individuals to explore their understanding, see things from their own and different perspectives. It helps them establish their own course of action that meets their objectives and contribute to overall business growth aspirations.
Empowering Cornish businesses to create change through learning means they are able to improve the results they are creating in a sustainable way, through better understanding of their drivers, values, behaviours, their environment and the realities that impact upon performance and motivation.
Coaching as a method of Business support has been shown to achieve tangible results including business development and growth, improved employee performance and motivation and consequently raise customer satisfaction. Coaching is shown to create a sustainable environment for growth that can continue to benefit an organisation beyond the duration of the coaching intervention.
Belinda Waldock 2011